Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bulky Flip Top Mittens

Pattern: Bulky Flip Top Mitts (free)
Source: Life in Cleveland (blog)
Yarn: Noro Iro in super-rainbow!
Needles: US 7 dpns (cuff); US 8 dpns (body)
Started: September 5, 2009
Finished: September 26, 2009


Modifications: I used a bulkier yarn than recommended and changed my needle size to achieve the correct gauge. With mittens, where drape is useless, I pretty much figure the denser the better, and boy these puppies did not disappoint! They are thicker than a malamut's butt!

Striping self-striping yarn is always and interesting effect, and I thought (a) with such a small project, the colorway will barely get once through and the mittens won't match and (b) since I was cannibalizing a vest, I had a lot of shorter ends anyways, so why not use them in crazy stripes!

I'm very pleased with the end result, where the mittens still don't quite match, but they really go together. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment