I first cast on as written for the Diagonal Cross-Rib Socks pattern in Interweave Knits' 25 Favorite Sock Patterns, but that led to some pooling of the yarn. I switched it up and CO 64 (a more regular number than the original 70, which was for man-feet) in a 6x2 rib. This allowed me to use the strategy given in Favorite Socks without being a slave to the sizing.
In fact, as it turned out, these are the best-fitting socks right off the needles that I've made. The first socks-for-me that I made are like slippers to me now because they fit over at least one thick winter pair. They are definitely not for wearing out of the house. Then I made a pair that were absurdly small and had to frog them. These other socks were made in the 2010-2011 break of the blog, so I'll link up pictures if I backlog, but for right now, use your imagination.
Overall, I'm quite please with the yarn - Knit Picks Stroll Tonal - although I don't know how it will stand up to wear at this point. The sock pattern used a basic heel flap and toe closure, which are fine with me. I need to make sure I've got the basics down before I start doing different heels and toes willy-nilly. The one thing I contstantly frustrate myself with is correctly gauging how tight a cast-on needs to be for socks. Obviously, it can't be too tight, or the sock will never fit over your heel. But the past couple have been a little too loose and change the shape of the leg. I think it will just be a matter of finding the perfect medium through trial and error.